Monday, March 18, 2013

The Occasional Film Review -- "Oz, The Great And Powerful"


Despite mixed reviews, I still liked Sam Raimi’s “Oz, The Great and Powerful," a $215 million Disney production that's got the studio hoping for another hit like Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." Oz is likely to be another money-maker, but unlike Burton's effort, Raimi gives a more focused and masterfully crafted movie. And to him I am grateful. Here's why:


I grew up in a time when television was the primary medium in every U.S. household. Remember? It wasn’t too long ago. For me, it was the late 1960s, 70s and 80s. And in the early days of my childhood, “The Wizard of Oz,” was still an event movie, which quite frankly captivated me. From it’s incredible visuals, color and musical score, to the perfect casting of Judy Garland and company. It was the atypical MGM classic, a film for the ages that played so incredibly well in the home, even on a mono, black and white television, as I saw it for the first time at the age of 5 or 6. Who knows how many times I saw it, or listened to the vinyl record of the film. There was no other way to relive it, except in the original book, of course.

So naturally any attempt to reboot, or do a prequel of a film I loved so dearly captures my interest. Sadly, that interest has turned into contempt for most of the commercial productions that have emerged from Hollywood, even those from the original creators. George Lucas is the most guilty for trashing the Star Wars cannon with his Episodes I, II and III. I would have stuck with the third installment and ditched the first two, sparing audiences the atrocious writing and casting. I just couldn’t understand how Lucas could get it so wrong, with so many resources, and with his previous track record.

Sadly, I have to stick it to Steven Spielberg too, for producing a swan song Indiana Jones, “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.” That one too was crippled by a weak story. Fortunately, “Skull” was carried by the cast. It was endearing to see Karen Allen in particular. I’m also a sucker for nostalgia, which “Skull” had, bringing me back essentially to what I loved most about the original film, “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

So here comes Sam Raimi, the director of the great, indie horror film, “Evil Dead,” and who didn’t do a bad job with Spiderman, another of my favorites. Raimi’s “Oz,” thankfully, is not only a sweet homage to the original, but it expands on the story with even restraint. I didn’t cringe and I didn’t get lost while watching the film with my kids at the local multiplex. Oz was sweet, at times imperfect, beautifully produced, and balanced on the effects. Most importantly, it was appropriate for children, and entertaining enough for adults.

I’m not into spoilers. So don’t expect me to give up anything here. I’ll say the best parts of Oz are its sudden, emotional moments, interjected gracefully, never rammed down the audience’s throat. And Raimi's choice of James Franco for Oz is a good example of how  this is a film about our flawed, human nature.

Franco comes off as young and a bit miscast, but that’s the point. I read that Robert Downey Jr. was originally considered for the role, but no, I’m glad Franco did it, because Oz comes into the story as an unsure and self-absorbed, a character that’s his own worst enemy, who needs to have the same conversion Dorothy and her companions have following the yellow-brick road.

I have no complaints about the witches of Oz. Mila Kunis was a compelling, tragic figure portraying Theodora. Vulnerable and in the end, left heartless and evil. But Margaret Hamilton will forever be the best at playing the Wicked Witch of the West. Rachel Weisz also was good as the restrained, evil-plotting Evanora. She cuts a tall, slender figure, and is elegant in emerald green through out the entire film. Michelle Williams was the weakest as Glinda The Good, appearing very much like a "Disney Princess." She was competent at best, but forgettable in her dual role, also playing Oz's love interest from Kansas.

For the final word on the witches, I just have to say, to know Raimi, is to know a good witch, which you get in the finale of the film. And it's no surprise. His previous witch characters from Evil Dead and its sequels are the most frightening of the past 30 years. 

I’ll have to see the film again, to see if I'll still feel the same after a second viewing.  Blu-Ray is the perfect format for Oz at home. I wouldn’t press seeing the film in 3D, but it is definitely worth catching on the big screen while you can. Word of mouth has been positive, so it seems good-size audiences will continue coming for the next few weeks.  

So, I have to commend Raimi, and thank him for sparing the audience of cutesy characters that aren’t funny, and overbearing special effects. Oz essentially is a good time for a couple of hours, a nostalgic turn for anyone who grew up with the original, and undeserving of some of the criticism reviewers have given it. Sometimes you don’t have to look for a classic to give tribute to a classic, or to follow it up. 

No comments: